Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:46:36 -0400
From:      abe <abe@informationwave.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fatal trap 12 kernel panic

Hello folks,

    Recently I have been corresponding with several from this list and questions@ with
regard to an odd issue with ipfw and my machine panicing after any network communication
was attempted after loading some IPFW rules.

    Some evidence of the panics can be found at:

http://dipole.informationwave.net/~abe/fbsd.jpg
http://dipole.informationwave.net/~abe/crash.mpg
http://dipole.informationwave.net/~abe/trace.txt

    Unfortunately, feedback sent while in good intentions did not help.  However, in further
tinkering with this issue I believe I've come to a conclusion.  I run a rather high-traffic
server so I had initially increased net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_buckets to 500, from the default 256
as people were complaining that they were getting connection refusals.  At the time of the
complaints, it seemed the max dyn_buckets limit had been reached.  In attempt to remedy this
as I said above I increased it.  After this week of going through many hardware tests and so
forth trying multiple machines with the same rules and numerous fresh installations,
tonight I set the default net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_buckets back to 256 and no issues.  So then on a chance,
I increased the value to 512.  After this, I attempted to reproduce the panic with the same
procedure I had taken before making this change.  No panics post-change.

    I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this server and hoping that it was as simple an issue
as that, and if not of course pursue the answer until it is found.  If anyone has any comments or
thoughts on this, please feel free to contact me on or off the list.

    Regards,

Abe