Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:48:18 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        "Alexey N. Nazarov" <blaze@iptcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question!

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 01:41:45PM +0300, Alexey N. Nazarov wrote:

> Good daytime.
>
> Problem: I want do Secure Copy from Host To Host with scp
>
> $USER is not root
>
> scp $FILENAME $USER@$HOST:
> then type my password for $HOST and see sessage
> 'ttyname: Inappropriate ioctl for device'
>

> 10:50 [blaze@frux:p6][~] uname -a
> FreeBSD frux.iptelecom.net.ua 4.4-RC FreeBSD 4.4-RC #1: Thu Aug 30
> 21:38:27 EEST 2001
> root@frux.iptelecom.net.ua:/usr/src/sys/compile/FRUX  i386
>
> How i can fix it?

Do you have a ~/.profile, ~/.cshrc, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc or
some such shell startup file for the $USER account on $HOST,
that might call some external program which would want to call
ttyname?

I had similar problems when I had put a 'fortune' call in .bashrc,
which got invoked for each and every login, including non-interactive
logins used for scp; the fortune output really mangled the scp protocol..

G'luck,
Peter

--
because I didn't think of a good beginning of it.