Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 12:08:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Lars K Klykken <klykken@bigblue.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: FreeBSD install on Creative CD-ROM

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Lars K Klykken wrote:

> I have just received the the FreeBSD 2.1.5 distribution from Walnut
> Creek CDROM, but I have major problems installing it. When asked what
> media to install from, I choose CDROM as I probably should, but the
> program tells me that it can't find any CDROM drive. I _have_ created a
> bootdisk, and I have looked into the UserEdit, trying to put the
> Creative-driver port to -1 (0xffffff?) Upon boot-time, it seems to
> respond that it can't find the device, and I don't have any idea how to
> proceed, and would like help on this...

The ATAPI/IDE CDROM driver autodetects the CDROM.  Unfortunately it is not
perfect and misses often.  Try moving the disk to the slave position on
the primary controller, and ensure you have the FreeBSD CDROM in the drive
when you boot up.

> CPU: 486/33 (yuck!)

Not really.  Our mail/web/whatever server is a FreeBSD based 486/25sx and
it roars right along.