Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:50:43 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Novembre <novembre@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: old cruft after source upgrading --- clean install?

Novembre <novembre@gmail.com> writes:

> By 'orphan' do you mean the unreferenced libraries that libchk has found on
> my machine?

I mean it more loosely than that; I mean libraries that are really not
needed anymore.  Your use of libchk isn't really a guarantee that you
can remove the library safely, although it will usually be the case.

> I use portupgrade, and apparently, the upgrade process leaves them there.
> I was also not aware of the 'make delete-old' step! I had never seen it
> before. I did the
> source upgrade of my machine following what is in the handbook, but i don't
> remember
> doing any 'make delete-old'...

It's listed in the UPDATING file, which the handbook describes as
required reading for updates.  However, there's little harm from missing
it.

> What should I do with the unreferenced libraries and the ones on the
> /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/
> directory?

There's generally no need to do anything.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/