Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:07:42 +0000
From:      "Jason Diesel" <jdiesel@dataware.de>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jdiesel@iee.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard Disk, answers ...

Doug, Gary, FreeBSD Team....

Got It!

On these fancy muli-I/O cards (2xserial, 1xparallel, floppy,
harddisk, game) there are a string of jumpers (usually J1 to J11)
which control the behavior of the card. eg: J1 says activate the HD0,
J2 says use the default IRQ14 to HD0, J3 says enable COM1, etc,
etc...

Well, obviously, under DOS it doesn't really matter what these are
jumped to, DOS will take the defaults and use them, it must say to
itself "You can only have a hard disk there, so I won't even look at
what the user has!".

So I went off and bought a new card ($12) (so I could have the
instructions) and then changed the necessary jumpers, Hey Presto,
suddenly all items were recognised.

I think this should be documented in the FAQ, someone want me to
write up some details?

Something else I came accross, upon installing with the boot floppy:
Error: C:0 H:1 S:0
Anyone seen this? I have not seen this documented anywhere, it means
you should not run rawrite to create a boot floppy inside a DOS box
of Winows 95. Something does not let rawrite complete, and so the
complete image is not on the floppy.

Once again, many thanks to you all.

JAson
Please Note, my new e-mail address:         jdiesel@iee.org