Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 03:25:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        William Schmidt <wfs@mciworld.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: slow ftp

> I have upgraded two systems to 4.0 stable and have found that the ftp to
> our local site and any site is slow the computers are connected to the
> local site through a 10 mb ethernet and under 3.4 downloaded at a rate
> of 700-800kbs.  With 4.0 they load at 7kbs on the one system and about
> 70kbs on the other.  I have tried both passive and active mode and
> disabled the inet6 in the kernel and got about the same rates.
> Furthermore, on the k6-400 system that uses a netgear fa310tx I get the
> following message repeated "dc0 failed to force tx and rx to idle
> state". The slowest machine  is a dual celeron 533 system that uses a
> d-link 530xt and rl0 driver.  Further investigation revealed that I
> could do an ftp put from a 4.0 box to a 3.x box at 700+kb and only get
> at 70kbs.  I could also put from a 3.x box  to a 4.0 box at 70kbs and
> get at 700kbs.  Therfore, It seems that data into the 4.0 box is slow
> while data out seems fine.

You only distinctly mentioned two machines - are they by chance connected
via a nulled ethernet cable?  If not, what quality of hub/switch are they
connected to?

Your 700-800kbps seems a little slow in the first place for 10Mb ethernet,
even using some of the cheapest cards on the market.  I use primarily the
Netgear FA310TX and Intel fxp cards, and get much higher rates, even at
10Mb -- 100Mb obviously goes a whole lot faster.

This kind of problem is often caused by the auto-negotiation of speed &
duplex settings between the card & the "other end" - hub, switch, another
card, whatever.  I've run into problems where the auto-neg results in
<1Kb/sec transfer rates - manually specifying the parameters fixed these
machines.  A little more about your network setup and some sections of
your dmesg output would be helpful.

--mike

Understated/funny man-page sentence of the current time period:

From route(4) on FreeBSD-3.4, DESCRIPTION section:
    "FreeBSD provides some packet routing facilities."

Mike Nowlin, N8NVW         mike@argos.org         http://www.viewsnet.com