Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:19:25 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Michael Richards <miker@scifair.acadiau.ca>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what to learn?

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> > > ST71d-3.1
> > > ST71d-3.2
> > > ST71d-3.4   # whoops
> >
> > I am not 100% clear on what you want to do, but a perl script may be
> > easier than streams of text processors all iped together.
> >
> > You could (in perl)
> > load the file into an array.
> > call sort to order it
> > then mess with splitting the - number part off to make sure they don't
> > skip any.
>
> basically I need to isolate the part of each line that I'm interested in,
> then, within each group (a page or so), check that they are all alike except
> for the number after the dot and that that number is the next one up from
> what the previous line said. If it's a short one like ST71d-3 just check
> that the part after the hyphen is bigger by one than the part after the
> hyphen in the previous line. And quite a few more ifs and buts to take care
Well, let's assume your file is space separated...
cat filename | awk '{ print $1; }'
would print the part you want to look at.

<OPINION>Perl would probably work the best but you would benefit
more from learning AWK.</OPINION>

I know someone else suggested this. Learn AWK. In terms of usefulness, I
know people who would write a perl script to sort a list of numbers. Perl
has its uses, but in terms of general purpose powerful tools, I find awk
a more useful program to have in your toolbox.

-Mike