Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 01:21:33 -0700
From:      Michael Han <mikehan@mikehan.com>
To:        Crist Clark <crist.clark@globalstar.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured. (fwd)

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 07:25:22PM -0700, Crist Clark wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > A lot of people SSH _out_ of the sourceforge machine(s)? And they do
> > > so by typing a passphrase on that machine as opposed to agent forwarding?
> >
> > Apparently so.
> >
> > I believe agent forwarding still exposes the problem: it basically
> > sets up a trust relationship with the remote system which allows
> > processes running as you on the target machine to access the keys
> > stored in the original ssh-agent on your source machine.
> >
> > i.e. in order to authenticate from the second machine to a third when
> > agent forwarding is enabled from machine one to machine two, the
> > second client requests a copy of your decrypted credentials which are
> > stored in the ssh-agent on the first, and uses them as it pleases
> > (ideally, only to authenticate -- once, and according to your
> > directions -- with the third system).
>
> According to the documentation, this is NOT how the agent forwarding
> works. The second client passes data, typically a challenge, back to
> machine one, where the agent does its thing with the private key
> material, then passes the decrypted challenge information back to
> machine two.
>
> [snip]

Crist, I believe your analysis is correct WRT decrypted keys or
passphrases *not* being available except by compromising the
originating client hosting the first ssh-agent in a chain. However,
Kris is correct, as I understand agent forwarding, in that if you
forward your agent from trusted host A to untrusted host B, a rogue
superuser on B could copy your SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment and begin
passing RSA key requests back to your agent on A. There *is* a
vulnerability introduced by forwarding your agent to an untrusted
host, which is why I do not usually forward my agent. I try to give my
understanding of these issues in
http://www.mikehan.com/ssh/security.html
--
mikehan@mikehan.com                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California