Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:26:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Ari Friedman" <af2@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:Re: your mail

>From: "KevinWaterson" <surfnsun@nor.com.au>
>To: Jason Andresen <jandrese@vt.edu>
>Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:10:36 +0000
>Subject: Re: your mail
>CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

>> =)I've been looking through your site, and see you have install instuctions
>> =)for DOS.. I was wondering what i need to do to install FreeBSD on a newly
>> =)assembled computer that has not yet been booted.
>> =)Thanx
>> =)
>> Once you get the boot floppy made, installation should be just like the
>> install notes.
>I also have this same situation and downoaded the boot.flp from ftp
>then when I wanted to put it an a disk it did not fit. The file size
>is 1.47 and a disk is only 1.38 after formatting.
>What gives?
>
>Kind regards
>Kevin

You must obtain the program rawrite. DOS format formats the disk for DOS,
loosing several KB of space. Even if there was enough space on the disk, just
DOS copying it would not do any good because you have to create a boot image.
Rawrite boot.flp a: should do it under DOS. This will erase any old formatting
and rewrite it with the boot image.

Good luck,
Ari Friedman