Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:19:21 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot messages

> <<On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:19:59 -0700, Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> said:
>
> > This is not a bug.  This is an FAQ.  So much that it's actually
> > documented in (*gasp!*) the FAQ:
>
> Unfortunately, the A in the FAQ is wrong.
>
> The ``can't assign resources'' messages indicate that the devices are
> legacy ISA devices for which a non-PnP-aware driver is compiled into
> the kernel.

Actually, this isn't true; these drivers are for the most part PnP-aware,
the problem is that the hints are processed before the PnP data, so when
hints for these drivers are present, the devices instantiated by the PnP
data can't get at their resources (because they're already taken).

> These include devices such as keyboard controllers, the
> programmable interrupt controller chip, and several other bits of
> standard infrastructure.  The resources can't be assigned because
> there is already a driver using those addresses.

The only devices which can't correctly be handled using PnP data right
now are console devices, due to our need to have console support before
the device subsystem is initialised.  (Keyboard, mouse, video).