Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 11:46:42 -0500
From:      John Clark <jrclark@felix.iupui.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gettytab

Hello all,

I am having trouble setting "erase" (^?) to backspace (^H) before login.  I
thought that I had solved this problem by changing the default entry in the
/etc/gettytab:

original:
---------
:cb:ce:ck:lc:fd#1000:im=\r\n   FreeBSD (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200:

modified:
---------
:cb@:ce@:ck@:lc:fd#1000:im=\r\n   FreeBSD (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200:

I also want to add that this worked as well (explicitly setting "er"):
:cb:ce:ck:er=\b:lc:fd#1000:im=\r\n   FreeBSD (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200:

What I am finding most odd is that when the box was on my LAN, either of the
second two entries worked well -- my pc backspace moved the cursor backward
on the login prompt.  I have the box at an ISP now, and I access it across
the Internet -- my backspace is broken again.  I have tried very hard to put
it right.  It won't.

If anyone out there is using FreeBSD and has the login prompt accepting "^H"
as backspace (at login), let me know how you did it.

Considering "cdrom.com" also has the same trouble as me (^H does not
backspace) I think my efforts are futile.

BTW -- When testing this, make sure getty spawns a new process.  Otherwise,
you will reuse an old one that tset or stty has put right, and ^H will work
on the login prompt.

John Clark
[jrclark@indy.net]