Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 23:04:02 +1000
From:      Hamish MacGregor <buckaroo@ecn.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install problem

Hi, I've been trying to install FreeBSD at home for the last few days,
and haven't had a great deal of luck, and was wondering if you could
throw some hints in my direction.

My first plan was to download the required files to my Pentium, then
make them available on via ftp, from which I could install (since the
486 I want to install on doesn't have a modem). I got everything from
/FreeBSD-stable/src and ran the boot floppy, pointing at the IP address
of the other Pentium. It kept saying "Unknown Network Error". So, I made
a 200MB partition on the 486, and copied the files via zipdisk across to
C:\FREEBSD. No luck there either, it kept telling me I was missing the
bin docs manpages dict distributions. So I got annoyed and decided to
download the floppies, but couldn't find them. I also noticed that as
soon as I started copying things onto the DOS partition, it was
truncating the files to 8.3 filename format, which seemed a bit
horrible.

So... main questions are:
What am I meant to download? /FreeBSD-stable/src?
What directory doe I put it in if I'm creating a local ftp site for
myself?
What about the 8.3 filenames?
Where are the floppies for download?

Thanks heaps,