Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:17:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      FreeBSD <freebsd@KIWI-Computer.com>
To:        "S.W.Liu" <hhh@ns.ciac.jl.cn>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with my VMware2

> I install vmware2 from ports of my FreeBSD 4.1-release.All things I have resolved. But there is a thing I can't resolve: when I run vmware and when I push "Power On" Button, it say:
>
> can't open /proc/cpuinfo
>
> and I can't to use vmware any more!
>
> I think this is FreeBSD's errror, but how can I do now?! There is not a file named cpuinfo in /proc directory! and this directory is Read-Only.
>
> How can I do? can you help me?

You need to enable the linux procfs support and mount it.  Add the
following line to your /etc/fstab:

linproc		/compat/linux/proc	linprocfs	rw	0	0

Which will mount it at reboot.  To mount it immediately without restarting,
type: "mount /compat/linux/proc"--  both of these should be done as root.
You will notice that /compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo now exists and
vmware/vmware2 will work.  The directory is read-only because it's not a
real directory, but a set of calls to the kernel which report the process
and CPU information.  Good luck,

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy                     rick@kiwi-computer.com