Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:02:58 -0600
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <brandon@dvalentine.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: generalized mergemaster(8)

[ This email edited in vim. ]

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 07:21:08PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> Have you considered emacs ediff-directories?  It might be better suited
> than mergemaster for handling arbitrary directories.

No, I have not considered it.  ;-)

As for mergemaster, it just about works for arbitrary directories.  I've
been playing around with it locally and there's not much effort needed
to generalize it.  The only challenge is maintaining POLA wrt people
using mergemaster for its intended purpose, updating /etc
post-installworld, without having the general functionality seem like a
hack.

I've got it working well enough for what I needed it for, but if there
is interest I will cleanup the patches so they're POLA-safe and post
them here.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
brandon@dvalentine.com                                 http://www.geekpunk.net
Pseudo-Random Googlism:  valentine is the most precocious foal i have ever met