Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 16:32:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk (James Raynard)
Cc:        k4ef0098@kiss.uni-lj.si, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD into a logical partition

> > Is it possible to install FreeBSD (if not, when will it be) into a
> > logical extended partition. Like in Linux you can install for example into
> > /dev/hdc8 (6. logical partition on the 3rd drive)?
>
> No, FreeBSD requires its own ``primary partition'' (to use the DOS
> terminology). I don't know of any work being done that would allow
> what you want, but you have the source... :-)

I think erich's "multiboot" proposal and sample code will allow
this.

Logical-to-physical device translation in devfs would make the root
on the extended partition mountable.  After all, once a cohesive
standard is developed for handling all types of partitioning, it
becomes irrelevant what partitioning is between your physical
device and the deventual logical device containing your root.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.