Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:10:28 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware still fails on SMP

At 8:48 PM +0200 6/20/00, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I have now updated to the latest beta port of the vmware port,
>and patches my 4-sTABLE sources to get the distributed
>linprocfs built and running as per the PR sent last friday.
>Still, my SMP machine fails with the same error as per my
>monday mail:

There seems to be a new port from late today or yesterday,
which installed the newly-released vmware-2.01.  Is that
the port you have?  This seems to fix up a few things for
me, though right now it's telling me I have to update the
bios on my motherboard to avoid some errors.  (in my case,
I have a dual-Coppermine-P3).  If you select "About VMware
Workstation" under the "Help" menu of vmware, what version
number does it report?

The interesting thing about this port, compared to the
previous one that I had, is that the startup script seems
to know the difference between UP and SMP systems.

> This happens on only one of our machines, and it is the
> only smp I've tried. It is a dual 233Mhz; vmware warns me
> that 266MHz is recommended, but I can't beleive that is
> the source of all evil...

For what it's worth, my previous hardware was a dual-CPU
200-MHz Pentium Pro.  I also always got that warning (I
was running vmware with linux as the host OS), and it never
caused a problem.  It WAS a bit on the slow side, which is
why I bought the new machine, but it worked fine...

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute