Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 09:51:29 -0600
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PCMCIA Ethernet Compatibility

I'm getting a laptop, and will be installing FreeBSD on it so I can get
some work done.  I've been reading up on FreeBSD and PAO, but have a few
questions.

It seems that the stock FreeBSD 2.2.5 non-PAO kernel has PCMCIA and APM
support built in.  If true, what does PAO get me?  Better power management?
A wider range of PCMCIA support?

Also, I want to get a 3Com 3C575-TX Fast Etherlink XL 10/100 PCMCIA
adapter.  My chosen laptop supports CardBus and I already have a PCMCIA
modem, so the 10/100 capability is a plus.  Is this card at all supported?
Even if it is only supported to the point of 10Mbit connectivity right now,
that'd work.

Thanks.

Ben

--