Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 23:43:42 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

Rodney W. Grimes stands accused of saying:
> > Micropolis have been around for a _long_ time; anyone remember the DEC RD53?
> > Whilst that wasn't a particularly good disk, they have a really solid
> > reputation, and (here at least) they offer a 5-year warranty on most of
> > their disks.

> Sure, they have made a lemon or two, but it is really hard for me to
> come up with specific model numbers, whilst I can rattle off a list
> so long of lemon seagates it is sickning.

Hmm.  The RD53 (1335?) was a lemon 8) as was the 1355 (wedge servo anyone?),
and in fact anything in that family is worth avoiding (and easy at that
age), but I'd agree wholeheartedly with you on their dependability; if
anecdotal evidence is anything - had a client recently having odd SCSI
problems (bus lockups and timeouts mostly), initially we suspected cables
/termination (and that was part of the problem), but the real cause was a
1G Micropolis disk (2112?) in a plastic case with a dead fan.  The case was
so hot I left fingerprints in it when I tried to pick it up; the drive
was shifted to a new case & ran for 6 months nonstop afterwards. (It's
been replaced by a RAID array)

> Conner is one supplier I won't touch on the disk drive market.  They have
> been given some rave reviews, but given there target is and always has
> been the lowest dollar end of the market it makes me wonder where they
> cut the corners.

Reviews don't count for much, to be honest.  I have yet to read much in
the industry press around here that was objective, factual, readable or
even comestible.

> Given that I have _very_ long and good experiences with Quantum (who now
> owns DEC's drive division, which I have no problems with either) and

Quantum had a really bad run around here a few years ago, but I suspect
that this was more a case of product dumping than anything else.  Either
way, it's still hard to sell a Quantum into many serious shops around
town.

> The other drive vendor I do use is Fujitsu, and other than the Super Eagle,
> they have done them selves very little harm with lemon drives going to mass
> market (I was involved in a lot of alpha drive testing, and I know of a few
> that never saw a manufacturing pilot run :-)).

Hey! The only problems I ever met with the SE's were the fans in the front
(which used to go noisy after 6 weeks, and fail a few months later) (we are
referring to the 19" rack units? 8)

They've been hard to get around here for a while - it's good to know they're
worth pursuing.

> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com

Thanks for the advice, Rod - it's useful for those of 'following in your
footsteps' so to speak 8)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[