Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:34:17 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Cecilia Cavazos <recruitingpartner@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jobs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We are still hiring for multiple Freebsd positions in the Bayarea, CA

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 01:02:53PM -0700, Cecilia Cavazos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yes, I am a Recruiter looking for several Freebsd people for a local start-up
> company that is still hiring!

                              Josef C. Grosch

                              1501 Milvia St.
                            Berkeley, Ca. 94709

                          (510) 524-8046 - Phone

                          jgrosch@MooseRiver.com

EXPERIENCE
As an independent consultant I have worked with a number of teams on both
large and small software/hardware projects. My role has been as a
developer, system administrator and as a UNIX/C resource. I have
specialized in network and communications programming and UNIX system
administration. The vast majority of my 17 plus years in the computer field
has been spent on UNIX machines. I have a wide range of knowledge of the
major flavors of UNIX. Among the projects I have completed are:

June 96 to      Independent Consultant, San Francisco, CA.
Present         Programmer/Analyst - Software Engineer

    *   BCN Data, San Francisco - April 01 to Present
        Senior System Admin and Senior Software Engineer. Responsible to
        setting up and maintaining development and test systems as well as
        day to day system admin duties. Also functioning as Senior software
        engineer fixing existing product and developing new features to
        mature Utilities billing package.

    *   MusicBank.com, San Francisco - July 00 to Febuary 01
        Senior Systems Admin responsible for designing and setting up
        infrastructure for this online company. Also responsible for
        writing Perl scripts to manage web traffic montering, image
        manipulation, and verifying MP3 content. Managed 3 Systems Admins
        on this project. Administered Solaris, FreeBSD, and Linux machines
        as well as Cisco routers, switches, Weblogic and Apache web
        servers.

    *   Itrade.com, San Jose - April 00 to June 00
        System Admin and Webmaster responsible for day to day tasks on
        production and development systems. Administered Solaris, Linux and
        FreeBSD boxes.

    *   Sendmail, Emeryville - August 99 to April 00
        Technical Webmaster responsible for infrastructure and backend
        development and support of Sendmail .com and .net website including
        DNS, Apache and Stronghold configuration, CGI, and Perl
        scripting. Also responsible for design, deployment and maintenance
        of tape backup system. These were performed on a variety of Unix
        systems but primarily FreeBSD, Solaris, and Linux.

    *   ISP Channel, Mountain View - April 99 to August 99
        Unix systems admin and Unix software engineer supporting FreeBSD,
        Linux, and Solaris based ISP. Partnered with another systems admin
        to support ISP with over 3000 customers and web sites. Duties
        included DNS, networking, Apache configuration, CGI, Perl
        scripting.

    *   United Airlines, South San Francisco - Sept. 98 to April 99
        Unix sys admin supporting HP-UX 9.x, 10.x, and 11.0 on a wide range
        of HP platforms. Primary focus is DNS and AFS.

    *   ITN, Palo Alto - May 98 to Sept. 98
        Designed, developed, and implemented a bulk email system. This
        system was written in C and C++ on FreeBSD and Solaris using
        MySQL.

    *   Sun, Palo Alto - Jan. 98 to May 98
        Member of a QA team testing a firewall product.

    *   Synopsys, Mountain View - Oct. 97 to Jan. 98
        As a member of a team of Sys Admins I performed sys admin duties on
        a large number of SunOS, Solaris, and HP boxes. I was involved in
        NIS, NFS, user accounts, and disk space issues. I was tasked as the
        HP sys admin responsible for disk space, software and hardware
        installation and upgrades as well as integrating HP systems in to a
        majority Solaris environment.

    *   HP, Cupertino - May 97 to Oct. 97
        As a member of the MachDep group I worked on patch releases for the
        various models of HP machines. This worked involved system
        administration of HP system, writing Shell and Perl scripts,
        testing and documentation.

    *   FreeGate, Sunnyvale - December 96 to May 97
        Designed, developed and implemented a DNS security filter
        server. Was also responsible for all DNS issues. This work was done
        in C and Perl on FreeBSD 2.X.

    *   HP, Cupertino - June 96 to December 96
        Desiged and wrote system integration tools in C and PERL on HP-UX
        10.01, 10.10, 10.20 to support OS integration team.

Feb. 92 to      Independent Consultant, Chicago, IL.
June 96         Programmer/Analyst - Software Engineer

    *   APT - March 96 to June 96
        Designed, selected, and implemented a test bed data center. This
        project required me to meet and work with the hardware and software
        vendors, building contractors, users, and management in order to
        define the requirements, select the hardware and software solutions
        and to implement and supervise the implementation on the
        requirements. The hardware selected was a HP K410, and EMC disk
        array, and Storage Dimensions backup solution.

    *   Navistar - July 95 to March 96
        Designed and developed TCP/IP based communication system to
        replace IBM mainframe based legacy system. This system performs
        communications between the mainframe and the dealer clients over
        the Internet. This system was developed in C, shell, and PERL on
        FreeBSD  (4.4BSD) system with parallel development/port on AT&T
        (SVR4) and NCR towers (SVR2 & 3).

    *   Motorola - March 95 to July 95
        Performed tools development to support developers of Cellular
        Switch software. Among the tools provided to the developers was a
        tool to calculate the maximum stack usage of a code module.
        Developed a tool to take developers module, check into revision
        control system, format, and produce package ready for code
        inspection. Also developed tool to report the current status of any
        and all PR. This work was done in C and PERL on Sun workstations
        (SunOS).

    *   BPSI - Jan. 95 to March 95
        Developed a subsystem that would allow a wireless communication
        system to bootstrap its' configuration from a preexisting
        database. This system would automatically record the changes in the
        system configuration so that when the system came up the
        configuration would match the configuration when it went down. This
        work was don on C using Ctree on an IBM RS/6000 using AIX 3.2.3 and
        3.2.5

    *   Baxter - August 94 to Jan. 95
        As a team member developed a system that managed and controlled a
        number of networked medication dispensing machines. This system
        also managed the inventory of medication in a central database and
        interfaced with the existing hospital billing system. This system
        was written in C and ran on IBM-PCs running UnixWare (SVR4) and
        FreeBSD (4.4BSD).

    *   CCH - July 94
        Developed a number of test procedures to determine if a UNIX system
        had been properly configured and to ascertain its' current
        health. These scripts were written in Korn shell, PERL, and AWK and
        ran on Sun (Solaris) and HP (HP-UX) workstations.

    *   Responce Call, Inc. - Jan 94 to June 94
        Developed a telemarketing system. This system was written in C on a
        RS/6000 under AIX 3.2.3 with the use of the c-tree and d-tree
        software libraries. Also performed system administration on
        RS/6000, SCO, and FreeBSD (4.4BSD) system. Designed and installed
        network. Performed initial work to get client connected to the
        Internet.

    *   Reuters - July 93 to Jan. 94
        Enhanced and maintained several UNIX device drivers. I was also
        responsible for building and maintaining several networks including
        work with NFS and NIS, setting up new UNIX systems, installing
        hardware, modifying the UNIX kernel where needed, configuration of
        UNIX kernel, and a senior resource on UNIX systems in general. This
        work was performed on HP (HP-UX), SUN (SunOS), DEC Alpha (OSF/1),
        and IBM RS/6000 (AIX) workstations.

    *   Abbot Labs - May 93 to July 93
        Performed system administration on a large network of HP (HP-UX)
        and Sun (SunOS & Solaris) workstations.

    *   A.C. Neilsen - March 93 to May 93
        Implemented an API to provide a C and C++ interface to a network
        database. This work was done in C and C++ on Sun (SunOS)
        workstations and IBM-PC running MS-Windows.

    *   Motorola - Jan. 93 to March 93
        Developed a number of modules to emulate the system level interface
        of Tandem. Also developed a number of modules to allow phone cells
        to transmit and receive roaming information (IS-41).  This work was
        done in C on Sun (SunOS) Workstations.

    *   CBIS - July 92 to Jan. 93
        Designed and developed a system to allow a large number of POS to
        communicate with a number of IBM Mainframes. This system was
        written in C and ran on Sun Systems (SunOS). This system utilized
        asynchronous communications to the POS and 3270 API to the
        mainframes over Ethernet. The UNIX system was a client/server
        system with a number of daemon process performing interprocess
        communications by Berkeley Sockets. Development was also done to
        incorporate X.25 and LU6.2. I was also a resource to the
        organization for UNIX and C. I developed and implemented revision
        control systems, C coding standards, client/server architecture
        standards, standard tool selection, and the complete Sun network.

    *   Motorola - Feb. 92 to July 92
        Developed a large number of modules to manipulate SNMP packets
        being sent and received across a trunked radio system. I also
        developed modules in C and embedded SQL, to update a database with
        the results of various transmissions and network realignments. I
        performed UNIX systems administration on Apollo and HP workstations.

Sept. 89 to     Independent Consultant, Minneapolis, MN.
Feb. 92         Programmer/Analyst - Software Engineer

    *   Hitchock Industries
        Performed Systems Administration and wrote several scripts on an
        IBM-PC 386/33 running Interactive UNIX (SVR4)

    *   St. Paul Software
        Developed modules to enhance an existing EDI (X.12) package to
        allow it to use UN EDIFACT standard documents and to increase
        system performance. This work encompassed designing and
        implementing a command parser/compiler. This work was performed on
        an IBM-PC 386/33 running SCO Open Desktop (SVR4) with ports done to
        Sun workstations, NeXT Stations, and Bull servers.

    *   Pharmacy Delteck
        Co-wrote a system to do process control and to communicate with a
        number of bar code readers. This system was written in C and ran
        on an IBM-PC AT.

    *   Musicland Group
        Performed maintenance and enhanced a warehouse package. This
        application was written in C and ran on a Stratus System 88. Among
        the projects I completed was a reorganization and rewrite of the
        RDT sub-system into a client/server to allow the RDT's to access
        the warehouse application in a more efficient manner.

    *   Medtronics
        Developed a translator of netlists from one CAE simulator to
        another. This work was done in C under UNIX on SUN and Apollo
        workstations. Preliminary work to develop an X Window/Motif shell
        was performed.

Dec. 86 to      COMDAC Support Facility, Portsmouth, VA.
Sept. 89        Computer Systems Programmer
Served as a staff programmer in support of the COMDAC system used aboard
the USCG Famous Class Vessels. I was responsible for software analysis,
module re-coding and development, writing test patches to object code,
writing instruction files for link / loader, module and integration
testing, system testing, and corresponding documentation support. Performed
software maintenance and development in the areas of Sensor Control, Signal
Processing, System Configuration and Communications. Most of this work was
done in C on DEC VAX 11/7XXs running both VMS and BSD 4.X

May 84 to       Management Information Concepts, Inc, Chesapeake, VA.
Oct. 85         Jr. Programmer
As a junior programmer I was responsible for development and testing code
modules as per spec. These modules were part of an accounting package
developed and maintained by M.I.C. These modules were written in COBOL on a
Data General MV-6000 running AOS/VS.

COMPUTER    MACHINE: Sun Workstation, HP Workstation, IBM-PC, DEC VAX,
SKILLS      DEC Alpha, IBM RS/6000

            PACKAGES:   Apache web server, Weblogic, Bind

            LANGUAGES:  C, Perl, Basic, COBOL, Shell, C++, FORTRAN, Pascal,
                        Java

            OPERATING SYSTEMS: UNIX (System V, Linux & BSD family) including,
            AIX, BSD 4.X, Red Hat, DEC UNIX, FreeBSD, HP-UX, NetBSD, OSF/1,
            Solaris

References      Personal references furnished upon request

$Id: resume.txt,v 1.30 2001/07/02 08:04:45 jgrosch Exp $

> Positions are:
> Freebsd Kernel Expert,
> Customer Solutions Consultant/Engineer
> Engineering Manager for Network Protocols Group
> Network Programmer,
> Senior Engineer or Team Lead - High Performance Cache System,
> Streaming Media Engineer,
> Network Management System/Java GUI Engineer.
>
> If you are interested in any of the above positions, please forward your resume
> with the position listed in the subject line in your email.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Cecilia Cavazos
> A RecruitingPartner
> Recruitingpartner@yahoo.com

Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 4.3
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.org