Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:27:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      Michiel Boland <boland@carmel.diva.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   if_gif.ko fails to load on a kernel without INET6

Hi.

I compiled and installed a kernel without 'options INET6' and
'pseudo-device gif'. I decided later on that gif(4) is quite a handy
feature after all. I did not want to rebuild the kernel, so I tried to
load the if_gif.ko module instead.

That did not work. The kernel reports 'link_elf: symbol ip6_gif_hlim
undefined'.

So it looks like if_gif.ko is compiled with INET6 even if this option is
disabled in the configuration file. I notice now that
/src/sys/modules/if_gif/Makefile defines INET6 so that might it.

Both 4.4-RELEASE and 4.5-RELEASE exhibit these symptoms.

Is this something worthy of a PR?

Cheers
Michiel