Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:22:30 +0100
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        Wouter vanderPloeg <wouter1955@gmail.com>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless Network / WPA / ipw

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:33:49AM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> +----[ Wouter vanderPloeg <wouter1955@gmail.com> (04.Feb.2007 19:44):
> |
> | regarding:
> |
> | http://www.freebsdmall.com/~loader/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/wireless/article.html
>
> Hi [ me jumping into the discussion ]
>
> great article! it's a very welcome addition to the doc set.
>
> I've been hesitating to install FreeBSD on my laptop cause
> I never found good enough documentation on how to set up
> the wireless card or if it would work at all ... now I'm
> closer to wanting to try it out!
>
> One thing that I (a newcomer to the wifi world) would look
> for in the article is if my card is supported. I read that
> "The most commonly used devices are those that use parts
> made by Atheros." And an example about how to set up an
> atheros driver follows. But what about other cards? Only the
> "devices based on the Intersil Prism parts" are mentioned
> other than the Atheros based ones.
>
> I'm not asking to include one such example for every
> other wireless card/driver. But perhaps a link to another
> web page containing a reference of hardware that is
> supported (and by which driver) or a pointer to a the
> GENERIC kernel config or some other fake kernel config that
> is more documented?

Please, read the "official" and supported doc:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

which states: "A list of available wireless drivers can be found at
the beginning of the wlan(4) manual page. If a native FreeBSD driver for
your wireless device does not exist, it may be possible to directly use
the Windows® driver with the help of the NDIS driver wrapper."

and which describes what need to be added to loader.conf and/or to the
kernel config file, etc.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ipw&sektion=4&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE

--
Marc