Date:      Thu,  9 Dec 1999 11:05:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CRON in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.

I saw this behavior today as well - my -STABLE is dated

FreeBSD 3.4-RC #0: Tue Dec  7 09:15:50 PST 1999
    mvh@netcom1.netcom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MIKEIPF

   Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:19:53 +1000 (EST)
   From: andrew@ugh.net.au
   Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

   Hi,

   Every time a cron job runs it produces the output:

   CRON in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.

   which gets mailed to root. I searched the archives but didn't come up with
   anything. Nothing seems to produce that error when run interactively.

   We're running 3.3-STABLE from November the 29th on an IBM 686 200 with
   32MB RAM and an IDE drive.

   On a probably related matter we had a lot of processes die with signal 4
   (one or two a day). We swapped the RAM and I thought it had stopped but
   one died yesterday (telnetd). Previously running make index in /usr/ports
   would always die with sig4 but since the RAM swap its been fine...

   Any suggestions? I assume sig4 indicates that there is corruption in
   either the memory, cache or bus but I have no idea why or what causes the
   CRON error.

   Thanks,

   Andrew