Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:09:19 EST
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ports questions

Hi:

I just wanted to say thanks to those who have taken the time to nswer my
questions regarding ports.  ***David Kelly and Scott Hetzel's*** answers
have struck me as especially useful and complete.  In addition, I had
already received at least two other replies.

I look forward to the day when I know enough about freebsd to help others.
Until then, I just want to say that I have found the help from the freebsd
mailing lists (i.e. the freebsd community) to be outstanding.

I am reading Greg Leahy's 'The Complete FreeBSD' and 'Unix for the
Impatient' (as recommended by Greg Leahy), and of course the handbook and
man pages but help from others is still invaluable, especially to a newbie
like myself.

I came to FreeBSD after a disappointing experience with RedHat, whose (paid)
support desk could not/would not lead me to a successful solution to a
hardware problem which I was later able to solve with the support and
encouragement of FreeBSD-ers.

I worked with VMS and NT for many years and I am only now learning Unix but
already I advocate to anyone who will listen that they consider FreeBSD over
Linux or NT for personal and professional use.

John