Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 08:57:44 -0400
From:      "JoeB" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Jacob S. Barrett" <jbarrett@amduat.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Block Zeroing Tool

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Dan Nelson
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 10:33 AM
To: Jacob S. Barrett
Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

In the last episode (Oct 04), Jacob S. Barrett said:
> Is there a tool for FreeBSD that zeros the unallocated blocks on a
> filesystem?
>
> The company I work for has an image on demand system for our lab
> machines.  This system relies on ghost which only supports file by
> file imaging on certain file systems.  I want to take disk images of
> certain FreeBSD installations.  Ghost will only take sector by sector
> images of FreeBSD partitions.  Since it is doing this it stores all
> the "junk" unused blocks as well.  This makes for a very large image
> even with high compression.  If I can zero out the unused blocks
> before taking the image with high compression the image size should
> be much smaller.
>
> So, is there utility to zero out those blocks?  Does this make sense?
> Is there a better way to take images of FreeBSD machines?

dd if=/dev/zero of=filler bs=1m ; rm filler

I also have tried to use ghost to make image backups of FBSD,
but the image is the same size as the FBSD slice.
Have you tested the solution posted above to zero out the unused
disk space in the FBSD slice so ghost will only image bkup real data?
Did it work like you hoped?