Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 08:54:57 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
Cc:        Iani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>, pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org, database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mysql 321 - Mysql 322 - msql

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Andrew McNaughton wrote:

> It's possibly stronger on features, but it's slower than mysql.  It is
> speed he's emphasizing.

	I've never actually installed mysql, so can't really compare the
two, but I've been using PostgreSQL for everything I need an RDBMS for
since I first took on the project 3 years ago now (wow, time flies)...each
release has gotten progressively faster, but we've pretty much hit a limit
as far as optimizations are concerned, there probably isn't a *noticeable*
difference between v6.3.2 and v6.4...

	We are hoping to have the PREPARE statement put into v6.5, which
should give a performance improvement in "repeatative queries", as the
planning for the query can be done beforehand, taking out a step...

> there was some discussion earlier this year on this list about adding
> indexes suitable for fulltext searching  to PostgreSQL.  Did anything
> happen in the end? It's the one feature I'd really like to have.  I
> suspect it would be an important one to James also.

	What do you mean by "fulltext searching"?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org