Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 01:27:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Simon N Atkin <simat@enta.net>
Subject:   Re: Postscript to text conversion ??

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:
>On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Simon N Atkin wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> does anyone know how to convert a standard postscript
>> document in to ascii text, i.e files with the .ps extension,
>> as some documents that come with some ports only have
>> documentation in .ps format.

1.  First, if you're running X, I'd take a look at ghostview.  It'll
give you generally better visual results than using any type of
converter.

2.  If you're not, or if you want greppable text, etc., I'd recommend
pstotext from DEC's research arm.  In my testing a while ago, it
produced _markedly_ better output than any other filter I'd seen.

	http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/virtualpaper/pstotext.html

and, just for fun, the ghostscript page (which has a lot of other
useful ps stuff):

	http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

You'll need ghostscript for both (1) and (2) above.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/