Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 17:06:26 -0700
From:      Terry Joyce <Joyce.Family@worldnet.att.net>
To:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I20 a threat to free software!

Intel/Microsoft/Novell have gotten together to specify a new IO
standard for PC's. The problem is that this standard, while 'open,
requires a NDA, a $5000 fee, and a limit on how the source code for
drivers can be distributed! Obviously a threat to free software.!
	Since all PC's may eventually use I2O, and there is not hint of when
the standard may become truly open, this could caause serious problems
for the use of Linux, Hurd, and FreeBSD as servers on high-end
motherboards.
	The Linux people have just caught on, and so far GNU has no comment.
Other standards that may cause problems: USB, and FireWire.
	Please, we must provide a united fron to the software industry.

	Please contact GNU, Linux Journal, Redhat, OpenLinux, and others and
lets's show some interest in this issue!
	Checkout www.i2osig.org!
		-Daniel