Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:41:54 -0400
From:      "Brian J. Sletten" <brian@parabon.com>
To:        pat@databits.net
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: linux-flashplugin-5.0r47

I am trying to use the Linux flashplugin with Linux netscape 4.76 under emulation and the OSS sound drivers. I can view flash content fine, but I can't get the sound to work.

The latest Flash plugin README has this to say:

A defect was discovered in the sound functionality of the 5.0r45
build of the Flash Player Netscape plug-in for Linux. Occasionally
and randomly, sounds in a Flash movie would fail to play. This
problem affected only configurations where Flash Player played
sounds directly through OSS (Open Sound System).
Configurations using Enlightened Sound Daemon (ESD) were not
affected. This new version of the Flash Player fixes the above
defect. Sounds now play properly through both OSS and ESD.
In the old Flash Player version, one workaround to the problem
is to run ESD on your Linux system. ESD is installed by default in
several popular Linux distributions, including RedHat.

But I still can't get it working. Any suggestions?

--
I've all my wisdom teeth, Two up top, two beneath
And yet I'll recognize, My mouth says things that aren't so wise