Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:46:36 -0500
From:      "Steve Sims" <SimsS@IBM.Net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: iijppp - cannot ping host after connect

Christoph Kukulies has written....

> > When I try and ping 205.205.70.175 (my host) nothing happens.  It seems
> > this is pretty straight forward, at least it was the last time I had FBSD
> > 2.01 installed on my system
>
> > Also I don't have a lan connection so the only ifconfig entry I have is
for
> > the loopback.
> > And, I don't run routed or gated.
> >
> Do you have an (in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf):
>
> your-link:
> set openmode active
>

> And in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup:
>
> your-link:
> delete ALL
> add 0 0 HISADDR

... and this leads me to wonder....
What is the significance of the 'delete ALL' line referred to?

I've got a dozen or so STATIC routes pointing between a pair of local
ethernets (They're static because they're in different networks and don't
EVEN ask about the routing protocols on the local side ;-).  I have NO
default route when ppp is down.  Gateway-ing is on in the kernel so I can
route between locally-connected nets.

As a result, I've not used the 'delete ALL' directive in ppp.linkup, but I do
use the add 0 0 HISADDR.  This works quite well as long as I start ppp from
the command line.  But dial-on-demand doesn't work as seamlessly as it
should.  If I add the 'delete ALL' line, would this nuke the local static
routes I've so carefully crafted?  I suspect it would.

In short, what I'm asking is:  How can one get iij-ppp to
 - dial on demand
 - link up serially between "unknown-in-advance" IP's
 - Add an appropriate gateway to the ISP
 - Preserve existing routing table information on the local side
(It's the last bullet that has me stumped.)

...sjs...