Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 00:20:50 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux vs. FreeBSD [was: Re: Newbies list [was: partition spanning multiple drives]]

Howdy,

I can't speak directly to your experiences because I've used Linux and FreeBSD
as a home O/S, and I shut my computer down frequently.

I've settled on FreeBSD because, like you said, it has a more "professional"
feel to it.  I'm a little more nervous about the mob-development model that
Linux uses.  I do a lot of lurking in the Linux and FreeBSD mailing lists, and
I get the feeling that the FreeBSD is more closely-knit.  I don't mind the
slower pace.  I don't have exotic hardware at home, so I'm served quite nicely
by FreeBSD.

Bottom line is I'm constantly amazed by the free software movement in general
and the quality software that is produced.  At this point, I couldn't live
without the efforts of these geniuses.

Anton Angelo wrote:

[stuff removed]

> I want to start a bit of a religious discussion comparing FreeBSD to
> Linux (specifically slackware).
>
> My experience is limited, but I have run a slackware box for a couple of
> years, and have started tinkering with FreeBSD in the last 6 months.  I
> like the prefessional "feel" of FreeBSD, but the box does fall over for
> no reason that I. with only half a clue or less, cannot understand.  My
> linux box however stood up for 150 days on a 386 with 4Meg RAM handling
> loadsaemail and even ran tin.  ( a feat in itself in 4Meg :)
>
> It collapsed when the uptime figure got too large (well, that was the
> only reason I could work out...)
>
> So it seems to me that Slackware was "more stable" than FreeBSD.
>
> <asbestos_undies=on>
>
> Nonetheless I'm moving my personal unix boxen to FreeBSD (apart
> from the 386 which I was thinking about seeing if I could get the source
> for minix for for a laugh) because its far easier to maintain - you have
> to love that ports collection.
>
> Speaking of which - can anyone recommend a free IMAP4 server for
> FreeBSD?  Also is Qmail in the ports collection, I'm not smart enough to
> admin sendmail and I refuse to learn M4 just to build a config file!
>
> aa
> --
> Nether Poppleton (n. obsolete)
> A pair of P. J. Proby's trousers.