Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 21:47:51 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enabling Softupdates in default install on -CURRENT

At 2:23 AM -0800 12/2/01, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I agree.  / is still a problem - I have softupdates enabled on
>     my 128M / partitions and if I 'make install' a kernel twice in
>     a row the filesystem runs out of space and the second install
>     fails.  But that's the only time I've ever managed to run a
>     softupdates filesystem out of space.  If we incorporated a couple
>     of 'sync's (like eight of them) at the beginning of a kernel or
>     world install target it would probably be safe enough.

Actually, I wrote some changes to the way 'installkernel' works in
-stable which makes it MUCH less likely to run into trouble on a
softupdates partition (among other improvements).  The thing is, it
would make a lot of sense to have those same changes in -current, and
I haven't had the time to try rewriting them.  (I did compare the
relevant makefiles in -stable and -current, and they are different
enough that I'd have to think about how to change it...)

Let me stumble thru to the end of the semester here, and then I should
have some time to revisit those changes.  At that point I'll try to get
something together for the makefiles in both branches.