Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:59:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick)
Cc:        jack@germanium.xtalwind.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

> >> Is it possible for company to cause the adoption of lesser
> >> technology purely by business/marketing tactics?
> >
> >Yes.  OS/2 2.1 was superior to Windows3.1/DOS.  The "Windows
> >tax", where OEMs were forced to license a copy of W3.1 for every
> >system sold or pay full retail, didn't leave much room for OS/2.
>
> Couldn't it be argued that those OEM's had the option to choose?  Maybe
> what happened is that *they* chose windows, not consumers, and now we get
> the consequences.

They were not permitted to divide the OS that came preinstalled
on their hardware on the basis of OS marketshare.

They were given a binary option on the basis of monopoly: they
either paid for Windows to be installed everywhere, or they
installed Windows nowhere.

There was similar wrangling over the Windows 3.1 to Windows 95
transition, since the OEM contracts for Windows 3.1 did not
specify a time boundary on options to renew, but the Windows 95
contracts did.  This gave Microsoft leverage to force the issue
of Windows 3.1 deprecation, when otherwise market forces might
have caused Windows 3.1 systems to continue shipping forever,
given that it was "good enough" for many veritcal markets.

In fact, even today, you can purchase Windows 3.1 from some PC
vendors whose primary market always has been linked to a vertical
market where Windows 3.1 is "good enough".  The back pages of
"Computer Shopper" are littered with these people, just as OS/2
still has a huge following in the retail Point Of Sale Terminal
(POST) market.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---