Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 21:39:37 -0500
From:      Alpha and Omega <asphyxia@drexel.edu>
To:        Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: no well-known ports?

Even though you connect to an FTP server via port 21 (usually), data
transfer is done using port 20 (ftp-data); however, it is my understanding
that YOU do not connect to port 20, the FTP server will connect to a port
on your machine that you give in your request.. its kind of like DCC Chat,
if you are familiar with that concept. For more information, consult the
RFC on FTP.

Hope that helped.

A@  < asphyxia@drexel.edu  >--< pgp: finger dargo@dorx.net >
@I  < Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!