Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 13:11:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Joe Diehl <joed@engg.ksu.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Insight ft tape drive

On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Joe Diehl wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I rescently started maintaining the ft driver and had a question for
> all of you.  Do you use, or know anyone who uses an Insight tape drive?
>
> Or more generally, anyone that needs the flag 1 in order for their
> tape drive to be probed successfully?
>
> Thanks

Wow, finally someone maintaining the ft driver!  Good luck!  Actually, I
had been planning for a while to try to port the Linux FTAPE driver over
to FreeBSD because it has much better support for different devices and
doesn't require a user-mode hack program like "ft" to do half the work.
The problem right now is that you can't store multiple archives on a tape
and use a command like "mt" to position the head at a certain one, just
having this support would make a world of difference.

Also, I don't think the current driver works very well with the DC2120XL
170MB extended-length tapes, and I'm positive it won't like the new 400MB
Travan tapes.  Just adding this support would be nice.  Let me know if
you'd like to work on this (porting FTAPE or just fixing our existing
driver) as a team.

---Jake