Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:28:03 -0600
From:      Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fixed: LyX 1.1.5.2 dumping core

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl> wrote:

} -On [20010127 22:30], Patrick Hartling (patrick@137.org) wrote:
} >Making a symlink from /usr/lib/libc.so.5 to /usr/lib/libc.so.3 seems to
} >have fixed my LyX problems.  I'm guessing libc.so.5 and libc.so.3 were
} >causing conflicts, especially with the recent changes to libc, but I'm no
} >expert.  Whatever the case, I can get back to work on my thesis now.  :)
}
} Have you tried recompiling LyX with the new libc?

I did try that initially, but the problems persisted until I made the
symlink and relinked the executable.

} That should normally clear any problems.
}
} I suspect from what you said above, that when you do ldd `which lyx` it
} will report lyx being linked against libc.so.3, but for some reason is
} trying to use the higher version libc.

ldd was telling me that it had both libc.so.3 and libc.so.5 which seemed
very bad to me.  When I recomipled LyX to see if that would fix things,
I noticed that ld was giving a warning about libc.so.3 and libc.so.5
potentially conflicting.  It hadn't ever been a problem before, but it
doesn't seem like the safest arrangment.  With the symlink in place, ldd
reports that only libc.so.5 is being used, and everything seems to be
okay.

 -Patrick

Patrick L. Hartling			| Research Assistant, VRAC
patrick@137.org				| 2624 Howe Hall -- (515)294-4916
http://www.137.org/patrick/		| http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/