Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:18:50 GMT
From:      PEB@amleth.demon.co.uk (Paul E. Bennett)
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-RC3 installation on Dell Latitude

In message <15064.20670.423693.172567@whale.home-net> John Reynolds writes:

> No, you don't need it every boot.

Good!!!.

> I haven't grepped the handbook specifically for laptop issues (to see how much
> is or is not there) but it certainly is a good idea.

I have now scoured through the handbook just about end-to-end for such
hints that I could understand about these issues. I am learning more from
here and the misc newsgroup. The chapter on PCMCIA in the 4.2R handbook is
rather devoid of material (mostly TBA).

> > It is also the same under 4.2R. It would be nice if they managed to fix
> > this aspect at the very least. maybe for 4.4 then guys.
>
> Indeed. Patches ... I know, bring on the patches ... I'll try. At the very
> least I'll file a PR for it.

Patches are only meant to be a temporary cure and the proper engineering
fix is supposed to follow in the next release. From some I have read I
get to wonder about the regression testing regime sometimes. I am,
however, still very new to FreeBSD but have been developing high integrity
control systems for over 30 years (yeah I'm becoming a wrinkly - but I am
still learning new stuff everyday - you just have to in this game).