Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 06:18:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp (Masahiro Sekiguchi)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: errormessages

> > Why dont errormessages contain an unique errornumber too?
>
> Because it makes users feel some thing like they were living in '50s
> or '60s.  :-)

The big win here is internationalization of manuals instead of error
messages.

This actually makes a lot of sense for encapsulated messages (like
sendmail).

I've actually been thinking that it's about time someone built an RFC
for message formats for log messages.  I was thinking "STARTED", "READY",
"SHUTDOWN", "STOPPED" would be a good start.

Consider the case where you are trying to track a sendmail problem, and
you don't have notification of "stop", only of "start" and "event".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.