Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:37:11 +0200
From:      Bert Driehuis <bert_driehuis@nl.compuware.com>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X.25 (X.31/b) support with i4b (and V.120)

Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> >From the keyboard of Dirk Gouders:
> > Can you tell us in more detail, what is wrong with that code?
>
> No, i can't anymore. Its more than 4 years ago that i had a look at it and
> i only remember that i came to the conclusion that it was not usable for
> my purposes. And i did not only look at it, but i tried hard and long to get
> it to compile and do at least something to get an idea what the author had
> in mind when he wrote it.

I've recently been through the same thing, trying to implement V.120
(which is a fairly simple subset of LAPD, but has to interface with the
upper layers differently). When it (sort of) worked I looked at the
code, looked at the original code and found that very little had been
left intact.

Anyway, I don't have much time to work on this anymore, so if there is
anyone interested in hacking on V.120 from the point I left off, drop me
a note. As it stands now, I can log in to a remote site over V.120, do
some work and log out. A process technically known as rebooting is
required to fully clear the connection.

Back to the X.25 discussion, lots and lots of subtle differences will
bite you and even if you beat a bit of exsting code into submission,
you'll probably scrap the code and rewrite it from scratch (that's the
nice thing about writing a prototype -- it gives you a deep
understanding of what is needed, far deeper than I care for actually).
For example, handling of mbufs remains somewhat of a black art and I ran
into incompatible assumptions with handling them that caused rewrites
(or really ugly hacks) for parts I though would drop in cleanly.

Cheers,

				-- Bert

--
Bert Driehuis, MIS -- bert_driehuis@nl.compuware.com -- +31-20-3116119