Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 09:50:39 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, admin@rshb.com.ru, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dirpref gives massive performance boost

In message <20010930162030.10A5B133C1@netcom1.netcom.com>, Mike Harding
writes:

> So it sounds like there would be some benefit in tar'ing and untarring
> /usr/local, /usr/ports, /usr/src, etc. which will be less
> disruptive...

At home I performed dump, newfs, and restore using a staged approach to
other disks or in one case to another partition on the same disk to
avoid backing up to tape.  (Musical partitions anyone? :) )  It took
about 3.5 hours and eight reboots to do four machines.  Most of the 3.5
hours was spent reading, watching CNN, CNBC & CBC/NW, and making a
quick trip to the store while data was being moved about -- quite a
painless experience.  :)

At work, I don't have the luxury of doing a wholesale conversion as all
the machines have one disk and most have only one partition.  I've been
toying with the idea of duplicating up /bin for example to /bin.new,
booting into single user state during a change window and mv /bin
/bin.old && mv /bin.new /bin && rm -rf /bin.old (not exactly but you
get the idea).  Given that the cylinder groups are not in a virgin
state, I'm beginning to think that this approach may be less optimal
than what I might expect.

In the mean time I've done a make release which includes all of my
personal patches to FreeBSD.  Besides serving as a DRP recovery
starting point, backing up my data and configs (/etc, /var, etc. [no
pun intended]) installing from the release I just made and restoring
the data might be the best solution.  It will probably take less time
than the musical partitions I played when converting my four systems at
home but require more hands on work.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC