Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:14:23 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>, "Jay Keller" <jaykeller4@hotmail.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating ssh

At 03:58 PM 11/28/2001, Christopher Schulte wrote:

>At 03:26 PM 11/28/2001 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
>>Perhaps FreeBSD should put these things in /usr/local from the get-go?
>
>No.  /usr/local is for software installed outside the base system.  The ssh package is part of the base system,

Not really. It's not maintained by the FreeBSD Core Team and is updated
independently. It merely "comes with" the base system. That's an important
distinction.

Myself, I believe that third-party products should be kept in separate
directories -- preferably in the default ones used by the developers,
unless these are totally bogus. If this were done with SSH, it would
be in /usr/local from the get-go and upgrades would work. Ditto with
Perl.

--Brett