Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:31:31 -0700
From:      "Doug Wilson" <want_2_learn_freebsd@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Brennan Stehling" <brennan@offwhite.net>
Subject:   Re: would like snappy ftp & telnet service, any thoughts?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brennan Stehling" <brennan@offwhite.net>
To: "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
[snip]
> If you happen to know the IP address of all the machines which need to do
> ftp/telnet you can do the same for them, but still it is best to correct
> the DNS so that it does reverse DNS properly.  But if you are on a private
> network (192.128.0.0) you may never have DNS for that.  It may be a good
> idea to just go with a hosts files that you syncronize among all your
> servers.

Ultimately, I want to have this machine be used for our customer's ftp
access to their websites.  Therefore, the hosts file ain't gonna cut it.

> I am not sure if you mentioned your role in all of this, but I would talk
> with the Network Administrator about all this and get it all brought up to
> par.

Ha!  I am the network administrator!  Hey, what do you expect for $13/hour!

But really, I could do all this with NT/2k pretty fast.  This whole FreeBSD
thing is my pet project--to learn--and to ultimately subvert our company's
dependence on Microsoft.  Of course if I can do what all I want to learn--I
might be able to make a few of these too $$!

Doug.

[snip]