Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 1996 22:24:38 -0500
From:      Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New kernel option proposed..

At 04:28 PM 3/7/96 -0800, you wrote:
[deleted]
>In former times we used the GENERIC keyword to do stuff like this, but
>that was clearly gross.  Stefan and I have tossed the idea around and
>come up with the keyword FAILSAFE as a reasonable proposal.
>CONSERVATIVE is probably just a bit too long, and people will probably
>think that you enable it in order to get your kernel to vote
>Republican anwyay.. :-)
>
>Comments?  Jeers?  If not, I'll commit it to LINT.

Hmmm.. seems more obvious, but then won't that kind of mean that we
can't say RTFM?  After all, the standard 4.4bsd manuals, Unix System
Administrator Handbook, etc.. all refer to GENERIC in their kernel
configuration sections.

Clearly, when some of us are up in the twilight hours of Saturday
morning with a stiff neck, red eyes, and slight hangover having gotten
called in to fix some _minor_ problem.... with no brain cells to
spare, the answer just not bubbling to the surface, we run to the
console and type sd(0,a)/kernel.GENERIC at the boot prompt... only
to have the boot prompt return :(

Then suddenly, you snap, all sanity leaves your body
     .... <smash><crunch><beep-beep> ....
"I never did like that hard drive and monitor! Good riddance!"

Hmmm.... I think I've been up too long already :)

Ah.. commit it (change is good), might as well commit me as well,
so I don't hurt anyone ;)

-ken