Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 22:38:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: Q:Meanings of kern.securelevel values

As Jason Thorpe wrote:

(insecure and disklabels)

> Anyhow, there's an example of another thing that the INSECURE option is
> convenient for under NetBSD.  It's not clear to me that it would apply to
> FreeBSD at all, but you asked, so... :-)

This one was already clear to me.  I think it's even mentioned in the
man page.

Anyway, it's probably irrelevant for a ``backend server'' where you
usually don't label floppies etc., nor run an X11 server.  (FreeBSD
doesn't have the aperture driver backdoor either, so you can't run an
Xserver on a machine with a raised securelevel.)  But it looks that
secure mode seems realistic for server machines.

--
cheers, J"org