Date:      Sun, 4 May 2003 12:50:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:        net@FreeBSD.org, silby@silby.com
Subject:   Re: Reducing ip_id information leakage

on Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:58:36 CDT, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com> said:

> It's too bad we don't have an inexpensive function we can use for the !DF
> case.  I'd like to make the OpenBSD function the default for frag packets,
> but it seems just too heavyweight.

I guess I am in the mood to beat a dead horse....

1) Have a less global counter (limit wrap on highspeed connections) that
   starts with a random initial number.
2) Each DF packet in this counter group, add a relative prime number.
	a) can also choose a random relative prime when this counter is
	   created.

Results:
Keeps the 2^16 numbering space.
Less global (think per interface, or per source/destination/port as mentioned
that is done in Solaris).
The overhead is only 32 bits of storage and a couple accesses more.

--Mark Tinguely