Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:11:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Todd Backman <todd@flyingcroc.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Todd Backman <todd@mail.flyingcroc.net>, Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root authorized_keys ignore?

You are correct. I was looking for an interim solution to the problem
until I get through all of my other projects before digging into kerberosV
for our 250+ machines... aaaakkkk! I was just hoping I missed something in
sshd_config.

Thanks for the tips!

- Todd

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:08:34 PST, Todd Backman wrote:
>
> > just the use of authorized_keys... just want to combat the
> > "lazy-admin-syndrome" ;^)
>
> Actually, it looks like you're trying to work around existing laziness,
> rather than stomp on it.  So far, all the suggestions I've seen offered
> in public are not fool-proof. :-)
>
> Just disable root logins with ssh altogether and have your admins log in
> with user accounts and su to root.
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

Todd Backman <todd@flyingcroc.net>           "the only limitations people
Security Officer                             have are the ones we put
Flying Crocodile, Inc.                       upon ourselves." -me
Seattle, WA
"chaos is a good teacher..."