Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:29:08 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with Sony PCG-C1XN and pccard

I have a Sony PCG-C1XN ("picturebook") which was previously working quite
well with FreeBSD-4.1.1-STABLE from October last year with various
pccards; on Sunday I updated it to 4.3-STABLE (freshly cvsupped) and now I
can't make the pccard do anything useful at all.

With a card in the slot at boot time, it usually locks up solid towards
the end of probing (with a verbose boot, this happens just after
"isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices").  With the slot empty, it boots
OK but usually locks up solid (before printing anything on the console) as
soon as a card is inserted.

Sometimes, you can insert a card and get the "card inserted, slot 0" on
the console, but pccardd then logs 'No card in database for"(null)"
("(null)")' and pccardc dumpcis says:

  Configuration data for card in slot 0
  Tuple #1, code = 0xff (Terminator), length = 0
  1 slots found

With the 4.1.1 kernel, the pcic was probed as:

  pcic-pci0: <Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 12.0 on pci0
  pcic0: <Intel i82365> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 irq 9 on isa0
  pcic0: management irq 10
  pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0

With the 4.3 kernel, it is probed as:

  pcic-pci0: <Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 12.0 on pci0
  pcic0: <Intel i82365> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 irq 9 drq 0 on isa0
  pcic0: Polling mode
  pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0

The kernel config is the same in both cases:

  device      card
  device      pcic0   at isa? irq 9 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000

I have also tried "irq 0" to be the same as GENERIC, but it makes no
difference.  Similarly, iomem settings of 0xd4000 or 0xd8000 don't help.

I've put a log of a verbose boot (with no card in the slot) at
http://www.arg1.demon.co.uk/verbose_boot in case it's of any use.

Any ideas?