Date:      	Sat, 1 Apr 1995 17:02:27 -0800
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Fonts messed up - is it X or PPP?

	Ok, I'm running Release 2.0R from the CDROM on a
Pentium-90.  I put in the one-line kernel fix for PPP and
fired off the daemon, pointed at a 14.4 modem which is
connected to an Annex box.  It's an ARQ connection so
presumably it's just about error-free.  The serial port
on my box has a 16550 in it.  There aren't any SIO flags
in the kernel config file so presumably the FIFO's working.

	Nevertheless, 'pppstats' shows a relatively high
number of errors, apparently on the order of 5% of packets.
The question is, should I be worried about this?  It looks
worrisome to me.  Add to this the fact that X applications
sometimes seem to get bogus fonts loaded, looking like
messes with horizontal lines in them.  Restarting the X
server is necessary to get rid of these fonts; typically the
restarted X server will have the offending fonts loaded
correctly by the same applications that misloaded them the
last time, but other fonts which were fine before will now
be bogus.

	Anybody seen this?  Anybody have a clue?

Mike O'Brien