Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:48:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Quintin Oliver <quintin@smlt.com>
To:        pat.groce@state.sd.us
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unix is a problem: free bsd doesn't help

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 pat.groce@state.sd.us wrote:

> We had been running freebsd for 4 years to handle our internet email. Last
> week the hard drive crashed on the system. I had a tape backup of important
> files so i reinstalled using the new freebsd 3.0 version.

The 3.0-RELEASE is ment for developers, etc... I think you'd be happier
with 2.2.7-RELEASE. (stable)

> My experience was utter horror and despair! The new version have several
> problems - my ethernet card wouldn't work  - until we turned the port on our
> cabletron switch to 10 mbps instead of auto negotiate. I tried compiling new
> versions of majoirdom to get the listservs running - but all it gave me were
> cryptic errors. Sendmail keeps giving me an error:

Needless to say, it took me two hours to configure Sendmail, Apache, PPP,
and Netrek :-) and a gateway for the Win95 clients, no hassils, no
problems, pure unix and lov'in it!

> sendmail[131]: NOQUEUE: low on space (have 0, SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in
> /var/spool/mqueue)
>
> and countless other errors. I have to shutdown the system every 10 hours and
> restart it just to telnet to it.

> To hell with FreeBSD. We are replacing all of the systems with NT versions
> of sendmail. And it works great! I neat little GUI makes sendmail and the
> Exchange listservs easy to manage.The software may cost more, but in terms
> of staff time, we're saving thousands, not to mention all the frustration.

Cool! I'm happy for anyone that run's NT, and I really don't feel like
taking the piss - so well done, I'm sure that changing OS's has solved
your problems - Unix isn't for everyone.

Yours,

Quintin.