Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:31:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      cjm88@home.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/26161: Kernel Panic on Dual Processor System during heavy disk IO

>Number:         26161
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Kernel Panic on Dual Processor System during heavy disk IO
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD u2 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #1: Sat Mar 24 21:27:43 EST 2001
root@u2:/usr/src/sys/compile/U2  i386

The system panics when subjected to heavy disk IO. The system is an Intel
altserver with two Pentium 166 processors on a mother board supprting SMP
1.4. I'm using the on-board adaptec SCSI controller with 2G Seagate drive.
It is quite stable until something requires heavy disk IO and then
crashes within 15 to 30 minutes.  The behavior is the same whether the IO
is for swapping or just heavy file access.  I managed to photograph the
console just after the panic on two occasions and can forward via e-mail,
those jpgs to whoever would be interested in looking at this problem.

I tried to replicate the problem on two other FreeBSD platforms but they
were single-cpu boxes.  The problem did not occur even after extended
disk pounding (over 24 hours).

>How-To-Repeat:
I can repeat the problem fairly easily by either running a program I wrote
to cause swapping or by running the Bonnie benchmark with a large file size.
Interestingly it seems that things only really blow up when there is more than
one process trying to do IO concurrently.
>Fix:
Short of a reboot... which isn't a fix :) I have no idea.

I would be willing to work with whoever takes this on, to perform more
tests, try fixes and generally support the effort to resolve this.