Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:24:16 -0500
From:      Terry Todd <tlt@badger.tltodd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.0dp1 nfs server to Red Hat nfs client extremely slow

I created a ufs file system on a 5.0dp1 FreeBSD system and exported
it.  One of my users complained that it was 10 times slower than
other systems.  I ran some tests using "dd if=/dev/zero of=somefile
bs=1024k count=256".  Sure enough his system took 17 minutes to
complete that command when writing to the nfs mounted file system
I had created.  He is running 7.2 Red Hat linux.  I found other RH
linux systems had similar times.  However, other FreeBSD and
Slackware systems could complete the command in 30-45 seconds.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?  I noticed
the RH systems didn't have NFSv3 support.  I don't know if that
would cause such a drastic difference or not.

TIA,
Terry Todd